I love a good beauty hack. I mean, those good ‘ol home-grown beauty tips that continuously prove why they reign supreme. Even better, I also love a good beauty product that can assist in sustaining my go-go-go lifestyle (without breaking the bank).
Keep reading to discover my essential beauty tips (and products) that help to keep my skin glowing, my smile bright and my overall appearance on a thousand! Happy reading!
1) Apply Vaseline to eyebrows and eyelashes for added growth and volume. I’ve done indulged in this tip for the entirety of the COVID-19 quarantine… my brows are lit.
2) As I get older, as eye cream is an added weapon against fine lines and wrinkles. Ole Henriksen’s Banana Bright Eye Creme can be found at Sephora, for $39, and it is a godsend. It sets perfectly underneath makeup and also doubles as a brightening, Vitamin-C rich product that also combats dark circles and skin-boosting hydration.
3) Try oil pulling! Complete at least two to three times a week to promote oral hygiene, remove bacteria while also treating certain diseases. Oil pulling also helps to naturally whiten your teeth. My oil of choice is organic coconut oil.
4) Sis, steam your face. Enough said.
5) Apply rosewater to discolored armpits to assist with lightening hyperpigmentation. In addition, the rose water can be paired with baking soda to make a paste, for added exfoliation.
6) Always remember: the ingredient, raw manuka honey, is your best friend! Raw manuka honey works wonders for combating inflammation and aiding in wound healing. I live by Soul Addict’s CBD Honey Mama Manuka Face Mask; I use it as a morning cleanser, twice a week, and it also doubles as a soothing pick-me-up for tired skin. Check out more from Soul Addict here!
7) The secret to clear skin is H20. Water. Hydration. Thank me later.
8) This isn’t so much a beauty hack, per say – but, it works. If you’re suffering with a headache that won’t quit, rub a camphor and menthol infused product over both your temples. Almost instantly, you’ll experience a cooling, calming sensation, that will assist with subsiding the pain. For optimal results: try to get a quick nap in, after applying.
9) Glycolic acid is key when it comes to exfoliating skin while welcoming nourishing properties that aid with hyperpigmentation and age spots, smoothing skin texture, healing acne scarring and minimizes large pores. My favorite glycolic acid product is Mario Badescu’s Glycolic Foaming Cleanser, which retails for $8 at Ulta. Use sparingly, two to three times a week is ideal.
10) Wear sunscreen everyday. Even when you are not leaving the house. Never forget, sun damage is irreversible and only quickens the aging process. For us women of color, it is a bit difficult to find sunscreen that isn’t chalky or that fails to leave a thick, white film. I’ve been using Aveeno’s Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer with Sunscreen with Soy, SPF 30 since my college days, and I can honestly say it checks all the boxes for ultraviolent ray protection.
*Photography by: Bi Be, @Gau2708
“People often say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I say that the most liberating thing about beauty is realizing that you are the beholder.” – Salma Hayek